Monday, March 8, 2010

Dining Chair slipcovers

Laurie, this is for you! As I said in my earlier blog, I purchased these chairs from Target online for $70 a chair. I only had 6 matching chairs and needed 2 more and I wanted those 2 to be different. The fabric on the chairs absolutely did not go with anything so I decided to tackle the project of slipcovering them. First, in order to do this, you should be a fairly experienced sewer BUT, get some inexpensive fabric and try it - what do you have to loose?? I did not use a pattern but bought some muslin from Hancocks and made my own pattern just by placing the muslin on the chair and cutting out where the seams would be (allowing about 1 inch for hems and sewing allowance)

Because the back was bent, I had to make a large opening in the back to get the slipcover off and on. I originally though of doing buttons and button holes but figured because the fit was so tight, the button holes would pull. So I chose velcro and it worked like a charm. I just sewed the buttons on the top flap and it looks like it is buttoned when really it is not.


Here is the finished chair. As I stated in my earlier blog, the masking tape in the shape of a box on the chair is where I am going to have it monogrammed (haven't gotten to that yet). I know I need to steam iron the skirt but was too excited to put it on and try it out. Also, the chair legs were originally a cherry stain and I just spray painted, distressed and glazed them to match my other chairs. Let me know what you think!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these Wendy! I think I will give it a try with some cheap fabric. I'll let you know how it goes! The velcro is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete


Me!