Saturday, March 6, 2010

Craigs List Find

Before - OK so I have been without dining room chairs for 4 years now and after shopping around and realizing that I couldn't get what I wanted without spending 400+ PER chair and knowing that I spent an ungodly amount of money on my table, I decided to look elsewhere. I was browsing CraigsList one afternoon and came across a listing for 6 chairs and a dining table for $400. I called the guy and asked if he would just sell the chairs and for how much. After hearing "$20 per chair". I knew that for $120 even if I ruined the chairs, I could probably sell them at a garage sell for that much or more. So I jumped!!!! This is what they looked like when I bought them. Probably from the 70's. Groovy!!!


Here they are now - a little elbow grease, several cans of cream spray paint, sand paper, glaze, polyurethane and $11 a yard linen fabric and I think they look great!!! If and when (because it really is a matter of "when" with me) I get sick of the painted, distressed look, it won't be a big deal or financial loss to sell them and get something new.

So here is my dining room now - a work in progress. We added the wainscotting,and seriously bought the chandelier on ebay for $169.00!!! I know I need a buffet and lamps and stuff on that long wall but like I said "a work in progress". So far so good I think?? Ignore the taped off square on the end parsons chairs. I bought the chairs online at Target for $70 a piece and just slip covered them. The square is where I am going to have a friend of mine monogram our initials. The drapes will probably go before it is all said and done (but I really love them just don't think they match). I'll get to that soon enough. Trying my best to keep this dining room under control $$$$. Splurged on the table so everything else needs to be on a tight budget. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Let me know what you think!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi There!
    I am a friend of Wren's! I LOVE the Chandelier! I have been searching high and low for one that style at a price like that! IS it new or old? Love your blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is new. It is an exact reproduction of a Curry & Co. chandelier that cost around $1000. My sister (who has the curry chandelier) found it on ebay and told me about it because she knew how much I liked hers. It did come shipped in pieces and I had to put it together BUT the hour or two assembly was well worth the $169.00 price tag. Search crystal chandelier on ebay and see what pops up. Can't remember who the seller was but I'll check my purchases on ebay and if I come up with the vendor, I'll let you know. Thanks for following my blog - yours is super cute and I hope to blog more often than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - so the seller's store on ebay is called A1 lighting and household closeouts. You can look through his store or email him at SJLimports@aol.com. Maybe you could describe the chandelier or send him my blog pic?? I paid around $169 but also paid $40-50 in shipping so the total was around $220. Still a great deal!!!

    ReplyDelete


Me!